SEO in Layman’s Term: A Guide To SEO
- Have you ever imagined how you get the search result on any search engine with the words you type on the search bar?
- Who decides which result should be on the first rank and which results in the second rank and the whole list below them?
- How can your website go on the top of the search result on which you are willing to?
- What makes it happen to rank a website on a search result?
This blog will help you to get the answers to all queries you have related to optimization, ranking, and authorizing your website on any search engine you want to. So without any further due let begin our journey in learning what is SEO, why is it important, and how does it work!
You have probably heard several times that search engine optimization (Seo) is a vital Digital marketing resource, but even if you have a basic knowledge of what it consists of, you may not have the best result out of it. The world of SEO is complex, ever-changing, and dynamic.
Seo is made up of multiple different elements and knowing what they are and how they will affect is the key to understanding why SEO is so important for digital platforms. Beyond that, it is an important and needed tool for brand awareness, building relationships with prospects, and positioning yourself as an authoritative and trustworthy expert in your field
What is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimization which is a process that helps in bringing traffic to your website most effectively and efficiently possible organically. The better the traffic is, the more are the chances of the site to get ranked on search engines. It is all about researching what the people are searching for online, the answers they are wishing for, the words they are using, and the type of content they wish to consume. Knowing the answers to these questions will help you to connect to the people who are searching for the solution you provide. If knowing the user intent is one side of the coin, delivering it in a way that the search engine can find and understand it is the other. Like the Best Digital Marketing Company in India keyword will show you the list of best digital agencies around you and not the irrelevant results.
To understand the true sense of SEO, let’s break the definition into different parts:
- Quality of traffic – you can attract all the visitors in the world, but unless they are the right visitors to your product they are of no use for eg; your area car accessory dealer and google is ranking you with car dealers in the town the visitors to your site will not take any action as they are searching for cars not there accessory.
- Quantity of traffic – Once you get the right people clicking to your page, more traffic is always better for your product
- Organic results – Ads make up a significant portion of any SREP’s, Organic traffic is the traffic you don’t have to pay for.
Why is SEO important?
Why on earth does a search engine care whether you use them or any other search engine? After all, You are not paying them? That’s right you are not paying them but someone else is..! So the answer is they make money from ads and if the content they are showing on the results is not relevant to the query will make a bad impression on the user experience and will lead to a fall in users leading to a bad reputation and that is the reason why SEO is an important part of digital marketing because people conduct trillions of search every year, often with commercial intent to find the product and services which they want. Search is the primary source of digital traffic for brands and other marketing channels. Greater visibility and ranking higher in search results help the product campaign and set a target for competitions. While paid advertisement, social media, and other online platforms can increase traffic to the website but the majority of online traffic is from search results. SEO is the only online marketing channel, which is set correctly and pays the dividend over time. If you provide a solid piece of content that deserves to rank for the right keywords, your traffic starts rolling to the website over time, while advertising needs continuous funding to send traffic to the website. Like the professional SEO Company in Bhopal makes sure to use the right strategy with minimal cost to help you to rank on Google.
Google, Bing, Yahoo! And other search engines have set some similar and some individual criteria (algorithms) on which a website gets rank on the SERPs based on different keywords used by the users to full fill the user intent (what the user wants). The criteria set by the search engines are some important and basic requirement and responsibility that needs to be followed by every website owner and based on it the search engine rank the website and some time in case of excess violation of criteria the website can even get penalize leading to blocking the website so you can now understand the importance of SEO for any website to get ranked.
How does Search engine work?
Search engines go through several processes to get your website content ranked. The search engine has three primary functions they are:
- Crawling – it is the discovering process in which a search engine sends its crawlers also known as bots and robots to find new and updated content. Content can vary in different kinds: it could be a whole website, a text, an image, a video, a PDF, etc. Google borts start fetching web pages and following them discover new links and start hopping from one URL to another.
- Indexing – after crawling the search engine process and store the information they find in an index, a massive database of all the content they have discovered and considered good enough for the search results.
- Ranking – providing the peace of content that is most relevant for the search query, which means the content is ranked from most relevant to least relevant. When someone performs a search go to their index and bring out the most relevant result for the query.
Learning SEO is not tough, but it is a continuous and ongoing process. It gets changed and updated every day one day you are away from the algorithms, and one day you are not. For eg: Lydzen Learning & Teachings, provides the Best Digital Marketing Training in Bhopal and helps to keep yourself updated about all the latest changes and updates in the SEO industry.
Types of SEO are
There are four types of SEO they are:
- White hat SEO – White hat SEO refers to any practise that improves your search ranking on a search engine result page (SERP) while maintaining the authority of the website and following all the terms and conditions of the search engine algorithms.
It consists of:
- Offering quality content and services
- Fast site loading time and mobile-friendliness
- Using descriptive and keyword-rich meta tag
- Making your site easy to navigate, etc.
- Black hat SEO – Basically black hat is totally opposite of white hat we do not follow the terms and conditions of search engine algorithms which tend to fall in the authority of a website and lead to the penalization of the website.
- Grey hat SEO – Gray hat SEO refers to a combination of both white hat SEO and black hat SEO in a manner that speeds up the ranking process for the website and gives us better and quick results.
- Negative SEO – Negative SEO refers to attacking any website ranking by malpractice with it. It generally consists of black hat SEO practices to the competitor websites to sabotage its ranking on SERPs.
The SEO process is of three kinds:
- On-page SEO –
On-page SEO is the practice of optimizing web pages in the requirement to rank higher and get a good amount of quality traffic on search engines. On-page refers to all the content and HTML code of the pages that can get optimized with taking care of all the important criteria which come under on-page factors.
On-page SEO refers to all the activities which an individual can implement on their web page to get the best results out of the content.
List of on-page ranking factors is:
- Title tag:
A title tag is an element to specify the title of the web page. Title tags are showcased on search engine result pages (SERPs) as clickable headlines for a given search result and are important to maintaining for the purpose of usability, Seo, and social sharing. It is recommended to use the keywords in the most catchy format.
- Meta description:
A meta description is an element to describe and summarize the content of the page mostly it contains the important point of the webpage using the main keywords, it appears below the title tags.
Alt text also known as alt description is the description of the image which we have to provide for the crawlability of the image, It helps the search engine to understand the image.
- Duplicate content:
Duplicate content is the content which exists on multiple websites. It is harmful to the ranking of the pages as the search engine gets confused and gives preferences to the other websites.
The robot.txt files are also known as exclusion protocol or standards. They are the instructions given to the search engine bots which page they should crawl and which page they should not.
- Robot meta directive:
Meta directives are commands given to the bots of search engines for how to crawl and index the content on different web pages. This gives a better understanding of the content of the web page to the bots and helps them to rank.
Schema.org are the semantic vocabulary of tag or microdata which can be added to improvise the way search engines crawl and represent the website on search results.
- Https status codes:
Https status codes is a message sent by the browser to the server and replied to at the same time by the server to the browser. They provide code which includes dozens of codes and many of them you don’t come across.
Common status code rangers are:
- 1XX – Informational
- 2XX – Success
- 3XX – Redirect
- 4XX – Client error
- 5XX – Server error
- Page speed:
Page speed is the loading time a web page take before opening properly and is one of the most important factors in SEO as more the time is taken by a web page more are chances of decreasing the traffic.
- Conversion rate optimization:
Conversion rate optimization is the process of increasing the conversion of visitors to a web page by different techniques. It means if you are getting 15 per cent conversion out of the total visitors how can you increase the percentage of conversions.
The domain which you are choosing should be impressive and easy to remember by your users. They shout be under two to three words and represent the niche of your product.
- Friendly URLs:
Friendly URLs refers to easy and rememberable URLs which can be remembered by the users. Excessive long and lengthy URLs are hard to remember by the user.
- Header tag:
Header tags are used to provide structure and importance to your content as they are of six kinds from H1 to H6 and give different importance to the content as per there use.
Canonicalization is the process of providing the exact URL to a web page, using the Canonicalization tag prevents the problem of confusion of opening of pages with identical and duplicate URLs.
- Redirects: Redirects is the process of sending the search engine from one URL to another URL, it is the way to send both the user and the search engine to another URL.
There are three types of redirects:
- 301 – Moved permanently
- 302 – Moved temporarily
- Meta refresh
- Off-page SEO
Off-page SEO refers to the action proceed outside your webpage to increase the rank of your website on the search engine result pages (SERPs). Basically, you work on the backlink for your web pages, by visiting high-quality pages and providing your link on them and this provides you backlinks which brings you link juice that increases your authority on search engine also termed as DA (Domain Authority), DR ( Domain Rating), TF (Trust Flow).
The list of activity that provides you with backlinks are:
- Social bookmarking
- Forum submission
- Blog directory submission
- Article submission
- Question and answers
- Video submission
- Image submission
- Infographics submission
- Press release
- Exchange of links
- Classified submission
- Business listing
- Using comment of content
- Social media
- Technical SEO
Technical SEO refers to the process of checking and ensuring whether an individual website meets all the technical requirement of a search engine with the objective of improving the organic ranking of a web site on the Search engine result page (SERP), this process is checking all the on-page and off-page factors For the search engine result page (SERP) ranking.
I hope this blog was helpful for you for gathering up the knowledge about SEO, and now you know what is SEO?, Why is it important? and what are the types of SEO?, and you will agree with the importance of SEO for any individual website for maintaining its existence and brand value. Using SEO has helped a lot of firms and businesses in increasing their brand value and sales organically Nike, Mercedes, Gopro and amazon are some leading examples, these products have experienced a lot of increase in their brand value and online sales by implementing SEO techniques on their businesses.
Now you will have a question: do you pursue learning SEO or should you outsource them?
The best answer is what is your requirement. If you want to work in this field then you should definitely learn it you will find the resources and tools very interesting and by learning what SEO can do will bring you a different level of joy while working on them. But, if you are a person who just needs the benefits of SEO without learning them should definitely outsource them many companies even have their own SEO team for their digital platforms, by implementing SEO on your website can give you unbelievable results on the online platforms.
Gaurang Dwivedi is 22 and a young blogger who is an experienced digital marketer working on Website Designing, Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing, Web Analytics, Social Media optimization, social media marketing, email marketing, and online reputation management for local business and brands in Bhopal. He likes to work on online business strategies for different brands and bringing new business ideas for them.